After last week the scandal erupted around him, the Infanta’s husband sent a note to the Spanish news agency EFE. From the Efeamerica article Spanish royal in-law ready to defend himself in corruption probe:
Iñaki Urdangarin, son-in-law of Spain’s King Juan Carlos, said Friday that he stands ready to proclaim his innocence in the case of an alleged diversion of public funds by a foundation he once headed.
“When I know the details … which at this time are formally secret, I will be able to speak out about their content,” Urdangarin, who holds the title of Duke of Palma, told Efe in a written statement.
Princess Cristina, the youngest daughter of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, wed Iñaki Urdangarin in October 1997. The couple and their four children now live in Washington, where the duke is an executive with Spanish telecom giant Telefonica.
Urdangarin said he will defend his “honor and innocence in this matter from the conviction that my professional conduct has always been correct.”
The chief anti-corruption prosecutor for the Balearic Islands, Pedro Horrach, is leading the probe of the non-profit Instituto Noos, which Urdangarin led until 2006.
Horrach has no immediate plans to ask supervising magistrate Jose Castro to subpoena Urdangarin for questioning as a potential defendant, sources close to the investigation told Efe.
On Wednesday, the prosecutor took a statement from Diego Torres, a long-time Noos director who succeeded Urdangarin as president of the foundation.
Read the rest of the article here